What We Do

We help our clients from beginning to end. Below is the menu of temporary visas, permanent residence categories and other services that we encounter and utilize most frequently in our practice:

Click on the different grey bars to read about our services.

  • Temporary (Nonimmigrant) Visas for Working in the U.S.:

    Specialty Occupation (H-1B): This visa is for employees of U.S. companies in traditional professional occupations (e.g. architects, engineers, etc.), as well as certain unusually complex positions within other occupations. In certain narrow circumstances, this visa might be available for entrepreneurs. There are similar visas for citizens of Chile and Singapore (H1B1) and Australia (E-3), with some advantages over regular H-1Bs.

    NAFTA Professionals (TN): This visa is available to nationals of Canada or Mexico who are members of the professions listed in Appendix 1603.D to NAFTA.

    Intracompany Transferees (L-1A/L-1B): These visas enable multinational business organizations to transfer from to the U.S. certain executives, managers and employees with specialized knowledge of the company’s products, techniques, procedures, etc. The U.S. employer and the foreign subdivision must be related as branches of the same organization, parent and subsidiary, or affiliates.

    Treaty Trader (E-1) and Treaty Investor (E-2): Visas for nationals of countries that have qualifying commercial treaties with the U.S. Corporate treaty traders/investors may apply for E-1 or E-2 visas on behalf of its employees, provided that they have the same nationality and will serve as managers, supervisors and certain “essential” employees. In some circumstances, relatively small businesses may qualify for E-1 or E-2 status.

    Nonimmigrant Visas for Aliens of Extraordinary Ability (O-1A/O-1B): This category includes aliens of extraordinary ability in the arts and those who have a demonstrated record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry (O-1B), and aliens of extraordinary ability in the sciences, business, education or athletics (O-1A). This visa is often referred to as “artist visa” but it can be used in any field and might be available to outstanding entrepreneurs, scientists, professionals of all kinds, athletes, etc..

    Nonimmigrant Visas for Artists, Athletes and Entertainers (P and Q Visas): The P-1 visa is reserved for individual athletes, teams or entertainment groups coming to perform in the U.S. It requires "international recognition." P-3 is reserved for culturally unique artists. There are also visas in P and Q categories for participants of cultural exchange programs.

    Temporary Non-Agricultural Worker (H-2B): This visa is for lower-skilled employees and is only available to fulfill a temporary need (one-time occurrence, seasonal, peak-load or intermittent). Available to citizens of a limited number of “approved” countries, with some exceptions.

    Religious Workers (R-1): Visas for ministers, aliens in other religious occupation and religious vocations.
  • Temporary (Nonimmigrant) Visas for Studying and Training

    Students (F, M): Student visas are processed by schools but our firm can help you with an application for change of status.

    Exchange Visitors (J-1): Categories most commonly used in our practice are Interns (current students or recent graduates) and Trainees (aliens with either a foreign degree plus one year of experience, or at least five years of experience in the field).

    Trainees (H-3): Visas for training in the U.S. which is not available in the alien's home country and that would benefit his/her career outside the U.S.
  • Permanent Residency (“Green Card”) based on Employment in the U.S.

    Aliens of Extraordinary Ability (EB-1): This category does not require an offer of employment in the U.S., i.e., the person of extraordinary ability can file an immigrant petition on his or her own behalf.

    Outstanding Professors or Researchers (EB-1): This option requires an offer of employment from a U.S. employer.

    Multinational Executives and Managers (EB-1): For managers and executives of qualifying multinational businesses. The sponsoring U.S. company has to be in existence for at least one year before filing the petition.

    Labor Certification (PERM): The majority of jobs within the second and third employment-based preferences described below (EB-2 and EB-3) require a certification from the Department of Labor that there are no U.S. workers willing, able and available to perform the proposed job. This process is known as “labor certification” or “PERM” and requires pre-filing recruitment and electronic application.

    Members of the professions holding advanced degrees or equivalent, or individuals with exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, or business (EB-2): Advanced degree is at least a master's degree, or a bachelor's degree plus at least five years of progressive postgraduate experience. EB-2 positions that are exempt from the labor certification requirement are those eligible for “National Interest Waiver” (see below), nurses and physical therapists (Schedule A), and certain aliens with exceptional ability in the sciences and arts. All others require labor certification.

    Professionals and Skilled Workers (EB-3): for positions requiring at least a bachelor's degree. All of these positions except nurses and physical therapists (Schedule A) require labor certification.

    Skilled workers (EB-3): for jobs requiring at least two years of training or experience. "National Interest Waiver" (EB-2): This category waives the requirements for job offer and labor certification, and allows the alien to file a petition on his or her behalf if it is shown that waiving these requirements is in the best interests of the United States, i.e. that the alien will serve the national interest to the substantially greater extent that the majority of his/her colleagues. This determination is based on a record of prior achievements, and the impact of the alien’s work must be national in scope.
  • Permanent Residency (“Green Card”) based on Investment (EB-5)

    This category is for aliens who invest in the U.S. economy and create jobs. Generally, the required amount is $1,000,000 but it is reduced to $500K for job creation in rural areas and areas with high unemployment rates. The investment must create at least ten full-time jobs for U.S. workers. Many EB-5 investments are made through Regional Centers – economic units designated by USCIS to promote economic growth.
  • Family-Based Permanent Residency (“Green Card”)

    Immediate relatives of U.S. citizens: Spouses; unmarried children under 21 years old; and parents. A child must be at least 21 years old to petition for his or her parent. Family-Based Preferences:
    • FB-1: Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens (offspring over 21 years old);
    • FB-2A: Spouses and children (unmarried, under 21 years old) of Lawful Permanent Residents;
    • FB-2B: Unmarried sons and daughters of Lawful Permanent Residents (over 21 years old; note that there is no preference for married children of Lawful Permanent Residents);
    • FB-3: Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens;
    • FB-4: Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens (the U.S. citizen must be at least 21 years old to file a petition on behalf of his/her sibling).
    • Fiance/Fiancee: we assist our clients with preparing and filing fiancée petitions and consular processing. For family-based preferences, there are annual quotas that limit the number of green cards per year for each category. As a result, all family-based preferences are backlogged, and people have to “wait in line” before they can receive their permanent resident status. In contrast, immediate relatives of the U.S. citizens are not subject to annual quotas; they do not have to “wait in line” and can obtain their permanent residence much faster.
  • Citizenship

    We prepare and file citizenship applications and advise on complex eligibility issues.
  • Immigration Compliance Consultancy

    Our firm provides consultancy services on various immigration compliance issues.